Powered By Blogger

Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Coffee with Ms. Copeland




I eagerly anticipated a normal day—if there is such thing. I glanced at my office planner. A couple of meetings were scheduled for the afternoon. My morning was open to either catch up paperwork, or visit with some of my residents. But my mind switched from my residents in the facility to my residents in the hospital. 

It was a cool, crisp morning. My thoughts were of a couple of residents that had been sent to the hospital that week. I have learned how much the residents and their families appreciate a hospital visit from the staff. It’s comforting for them to know that the staff cares about them beyond the walls of the facility. In return, I delight in their smiles and sweet “thank yous” as food for my soul. 

I headed to a local hospital, and visited my residents. I was truly glad to hear they were doing better. As I walked by the coffee shop in the hospital, couldn’t pass the delicious aroma of fresh-brewed coffee. It was too tempting, and I stopped at the shop.

A cappuccino is always a treat. 

As I was savoring my frothy cappuccino, I glanced at the other customers, wondering if they would agree that the hospital coffee shop had the best coffee in town. My train of thought was interrupted with the kind smile of a woman sitting next to my table. I smiled back.  

“It seems that the hospital is quite busy today,” the woman commented when our eyes met. 

“That’s true.” I said, observing several visitors coming and going. “Are you visiting someone here?

“No. I’m just running some errands,” she said in a calm voice. “Do you work here?”

“No, I work at a nursing home.” I pointed to my name tag, noticing it had flipped over. I turned it, making the information of the facility and my name visible to my unexpected chatterer.

“Ah, a social worker?” 

“Yes. I came to see some of my patients.”

“That’s very nice of you.” She smiled. “I’m sure your patients appreciate your visit.”

Our small talk continued a few minutes more. She was a delight to visit with. Her refined words flowed graciously. I took small sips of my coffee, keeping my eyes fixed on her smile and humorous comments.  

She mentioned she was heading to Arizona. 

“A winter bird?” I asked, grinning. 

“No. The trip is work related.” She clarified. “I’m a writer.”

“Oh, really?” The woman became more interesting to me now.

“I write Christian Fiction.”

“What’s your name?”

“Lori Copeland.”

My jaw dropped. Lori Copeland, an American best seller who has authored over one hundred books sat there with me, just like any other coffee shop customer, or any other hospital visitor. The kindest and friendliest lady I could have ever met that day. 

This is not a normal day. I thought. It's a marvelous day!

I mentioned my own writing journey, my blog, and inspirational stories. She listened attentively. And she spoke with refreshing and encouraging words. 

Ms. Copeland’s phone rang. She looked at the number and quickly said good-bye.  She walked away while talking on the phone. 

A wonderful feeling embraced me. Ms. Copeland was my celebrity that day, even if I didn’t know who she was when we first started talking. She taught me a lesson of kindness. And she motivated me to follow my passion for writing. 

I went home that day, and searched the Internet about Lori Copeland. I was certainly fascinated learning more details about her career and novels. I loved learning that she was a Christian lady actively involved with church missions. I adored knowing that she lived in the Ozarks.

A few days later, the receptionist handed to me a packet that had arrived, addressed to me. I opened it, and with great surprise I spied three of Lori Copeland’s novels. All were signed. One had a note:



Thank you, Ms. Copeland. 


                                                                      http://www.loricopeland.com/

41 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

What a heart warming story, and so unexpected meeting Lori just like that. It was a wonderful gesture of her to send you those books and note.

Yvonne.

Anne Gallagher said...

Oh Doris, what a wonderful story. And a gracious and charming Lori Copeland!

A Plain Observer said...

it never ceases to amaze me that people who have it all sort of speak can be so humble and down to earth. That speaks highly of their character. Glad you knew who she was. I'm terrible with names. I can barely remember the name of some of my favorite writers like Gabriel Garcia Marquez and of course, I remember yours.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

GREAT story! Good for you and for her!

Karin said...

What a special treat of encouragement and good conversation for both your life's journey! How thoughtful of Lori to send you some books!

Laura said...

A wonderful story and so thoughtful of her!

Vilisi said...

I love this story! How the Lord must have smiled in anticipation of your surprise and pleasure. He had a special treat lined up just for you. How special is that!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

What a wonderful experience. Something tells me that when you're a best-selling author, you'll be every bit as kind and gracious as she is.

mzzterry said...

We are all ripples in the pond of life. What a nice story. Blessings to you both. ;)

Lori Copeland said...

Doris,

You're entirely too kind--it was my blessing to meet and chat with you that day. I thought what a beautiful woman--both inside and out.
The kindness you show the elderly sick and downtrodden is powerful testimony of your gentle heart. May all your writing dreams come true-

Libby said...

doris, this is such an amazing, happy story, i'll probly be smiling for days because of it!!

floweringmama said...

What a beautiful story. I can only imagine your excitement!

Monalisa said...

A really memorable experience it must be !

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Doris,

This touching story taught me once more that good writers are foremost good listeners and great observers! She remembered well the nursing home you were assiciated with and your name! That is a compliment as most people would hardly listen or look... She was genuinely interested. That coffee chat will forever linger in your mind.
Lots of love,

Mariette

Amrita said...

So gla d you met an author you admire Doris.

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

i work in a nursing home in taipei before coming to canada. still is working as a personal health care worker. there are really times that your visit and your talk to ur patients/clients... as long as they are sincere will always be rewarded without you knowing it. that visit in the hospital is i can say the reward of your kindness...

for me... the best employer i can ever have...

Mary Aalgaard said...

What a glorious chance meeting. Funny. I wrote about chance meetings, too, and surprises you find when out and about. How fun. And, what a sweet gift - brought tears to my eyes.

Ann said...

Two marvelous days indeed. She sounds like a wonderful person.

Sally Wessely said...

What a heartwarming post you have shared with us. Isn't it nice to know that an author is a genuine person who cares and shares? I love this story, and I love the outcome of your visit. She didn't have to follow through by sending you books and additional encouragement. Wow.

Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, you met a truly special lady. I will have to check out her work.

Peaches Ledwidge said...

Good writing and a good title for your blog.

Toyin O. said...

That is a great story, enjoy the novels.

Arlee Bird said...

This is a very, very cool story. What a great experience! You never know who you might meet if you just take the time to visit with someone you meet in your day. I love surprises like this.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Deb Shucka said...

This story gave me goosebumps! I'm so happy for you, and hope your encounter provides enduring light when the road gets dark.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Letting you know that I've tagged you on my blog today.
You can play along, or not.
Have a great day!

hyperCRYPTICal said...

A lovely story Doris.

Anna :o]

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Doris .. great to know - my mother used to visit her residents, and drive relatives to visit if appropriate etc ..

She doesn't get a visit when she's in hospital here - but she knows I'm there ... makes me in awe of her when she tells me things.

It so wonderful to know you keep an eye on your residents wherever they might be ...

How wonderful to meet Lori Copeland and what a great contact to have - she certainly seems so encouraging .. and as with most people - they're like us!!

Congratulations and I'm sure she's right about your future .. your A - Zs were brilliant .. loved them ..

Cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!!!!!

K. Tree said...

How cool is that?

And a quick turnaround on some good karma, too.

Kathleen said...

The term "serendipity" comes to mind ...

Blessings,
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Hi, Doris. What a wonderful experience for you. Two kind women, both writers, meeting unexpectedly. This is an example of "what goes around comes around" as you are one of the kindest, most special people I know! And how wonderful that she sent you those books. I'm now going to look her up. I have seen her name, though I can't remember where.

Have a wonderful weekend! (p.s. I have a new WordPress blog but I have every intention of keeping track of my Blogger friends.)
Ann Best, Memoir Author

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Spenc said...

I think it's wonderful that you remember to visit your residents and let them know you care. What a delightful surprise to find a fellow writer to chat with.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Wow! That is wonderful! I am very happy for you. And because she was so nice to you, I'm going to keep my eyes open for buying her books. I know that I've read a few in the past.

Hope you have a great weekend,

Kathy M.

Linda said...

How exciting! LOL - I second whoever said it was wonderful that you knew who she was.

Terri Tiffany said...

Oh what a wonderful meeting! And to think she remembered your name and place you worked to send the books! Awesome!! I have read her work and she is great!

Doreen McGettigan said...

What a great reminder to always wear a smile; to be kind and to always be approachable.
How very kind of her to take the time to encourage you:)
http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

Have Myelin? said...

Sweet. =)

Unknown said...

An unforgettable chanced meeting. Lucky you. And how nice to be remembered in such a lovely way.

Ebenyado said...

Such a captivating story.Great works on here my friend.Keep it up.Hope u good.I just dropped another bomb of a poem on my blog so come check it out, comment and share with friends.Good day.

Unknown said...

wonderful story. i truly enjoy your penmanship!